[SlawKaus] Guest Lecture next Tuesday at MPI-SHH

Ilya Chechuro ilyachechuro at gmail.com
Mi Feb 19 12:58:52 CET 2020

Dear Colleagues,

next Tuesday, Feb 25th, George Moroz (Moscow) will give a talk on

*A data-driven approach to phonological analysis: comparing phonological
systems and syllable structure of Botlikh and Zilo Andi*

The talk will take place at 11:00 am in room V14 (MPI-SHH, Kahlaische
Straße 10).

You are cordially invited!

The annotation is provided below:

Andi and Botlikh are two unwritten languages of the (Avar-)Andic branch of
East Caucasian. Botlikh is spoken mainly in three villages in western
Daghestan (Botlikh, Miarso and Ashino). [Cercvadze 1965: 312] recognized
two distinct dialect Andi groups: Upper Andi, spoken in the indigenous
villages of Andi, Ashali, Chanko, Gagatli, Gunkha, Rikvani and Zilo, and
Lower Andi, spoken in Muni and Kvankhidatl.

The common way of analysing phonological units such as segments and
syllables is more or less impressionistic: researchers detect patterns in
data they worked on. In this study I analyse data of Andi and Botlikh
within the data-driven paradigm of Hey et al. [2009]. A phonological
application of this paradigm can be found e. g. in Moroz [2019]. The main
idea of this paradigm is to automatically count segment and syllable
structures in raw data material such as dictionaries or corpora of some
doculect and compare the obtained frequencies. The Botlikh data consists of
two existing dictionaries (Saidova, Abusov [2012] and Alekseev, Azaev
[2019]) . Since there is no published dictionary available for Andi, I used
data collected during fieldwork.

In this talk I will discuss data driven analysis for phonological systems
and present a case study of Botlikh and Andi dictionaries.

Best wishes,
Ilia Chechuro