[SlawKaus] The Dissident Library: 12 Jan 2024, 3.00 pm CET. Nonviolent Resistance, Alexandra Arkhipova

Ruprecht von Waldenfels ruprecht.waldenfels at uni-jena.de
Do Jan 11 05:05:54 CET 2024

Liebe Studierende, liebe Liste,

Methoden des WIderstandes und des Dissidententums sind leider wieder
aktuell geworden. Hier ein Vortrag, der diese Methoden in eine
historische Perspektive rückt: was kann man tun, was wird getan?

Herzliche Grüße
Ruprecht von Waldenfels

Seminar
12 Jan 2024 · 3.00 pm

    The Dissident Library: “Weapons of the Weak” in the USSR and Russia:
    from 1953 to 2023

*
Venue:* online via Zoom
*Organized by* Olga Rosenblum
<https://www.zfl-berlin.org/people-detail/rosenblum.html>
*Research project:* Soviet Dissidence and the Public
<https://www.zfl-berlin.org/project/soviet-dissidence-and-the-public.html>

The next seminar of The Dissident Library
<https://www.zfl-berlin.org/the-dissident-library-en.html> will focus on
forms of protest in the USSR and Russia and dissident protest in the
context of other forms of protest. Anthropologist Alexandra Arkhipova
(Laboratoire d’Anthropologie Sociale EHESS, Paris) will talk about her
and her colleagues’ work on forms of direct and anonymous resistance.
She will compare forms of anonymous resistance in Russia, for which she
uses the metaphor of “chips in the pocket,” with forms of resistance as
described by the American anthropologist James Scott. Scott applies the
concept of “Weapons of the Weak” to forms of resistance such as rumors,
anecdotes, songs, and carnival texts that are used in situations in
which people are unable to protest directly, when they resort to
ridiculing groups of “strong” people to reduce the personal risk of
persecution. Drawing on the collection of documents /Kramola: Dissent in
the USSR under Khrushchev and Brezhnev, 1953–1982/, compiled by Vladimir
Kozlov and Olga Edelman, Akhipova proposes to discuss the possibility of
applying James Scott’s concept of “Weapons of the Weak” and Umberto
Eco’s “Semiotic Guerrillas” to forms of protest in the USSR in the 1970s
and 1980s. To get an impression of forms of protest today, we suggest
you visit the virtual exhibition No Wobble
<https://www.nowobble.net/> which was prepared by Arkhipova.

  * Vladimir Kozlov, Olga Edelman (eds.): Kramola: Inakomyslije v SSSR
    pri Khruschove i Brezhnewe: 1953–1982. Moscow: rassekrechennyje
    dokumenty Verchovnogo suda i Prokuratury SSSR 2005
  * James Scott: Domination and the Arts of Resistance. Yale: Hidden
    Transcripts 1992
  * Umberto Eco: Towards a semiological guerrilla warfare, in: Umberto
    Eco (ed.): Travels in Hyperreality. New York: Harcourt Brace
    Jovanovich 1986, 135–144
  * Alexandra Arkhipova, Anna Kirzyuk, Darya Radchenko, Alexey Titkov,
    Olga Christoforova: “Figa v karmane” i drugie teorii simvolicheskogo
    soprotivlenija
    <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEK477cDmLQ8VIGrh1j8F2fxsZ6Sb6qg/view>,
    in: Alexandra Arkhipova, Darya Radchenko, Alexey Titkov (eds.):
    Gorodskie texty i praktiki. T. 1. Simvolicheskoje soprotivlenije:
    kollektivnaja monografija. Moscow: Izdatelstvo “Delo” 2016, 5–22
  * Alexandra Arkhipova: Net woble [No wobble / Нет вобле]. Russian
    anonymous street art against war 2022/23. A virtual exhibition
    <https://www.nowobble.net/>

Languages of the discussion: Russian with simultaneous translation into
English.

To join the seminar please register here
<https://zfl-berlin-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZApceiurDIiG9IaU6pePwOqRbQ2ucvsOaor>.

The event is part of The Dissident Library
<https://www.zfl-berlin.org/the-dissident-library-en.html>, a series of
online seminars discussing scientific publications on the Soviet
dissident movement directed and organized by Olga Rosenblum
<https://www.zfl-berlin.org/people-detail/rosenblum.html>.

https://www.zfl-berlin.org/event/the-dissident-library-weapons-of-the-weak-in-the-ussr-and-russia-from-1953-to-2023.html

https://www.facebook.com/events/1399612564322855