[SlawKaus] Vortrag: Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz - Metaphysicist and Visionary of the (non-)Absurd Theater, 24. Juni 2021, 18 Uhr über Zoom

Johann Wiede johann.wiede at uni-jena.de
Mo Jun 21 11:53:19 CEST 2021

Liebe Liste,

herzliche Einladung zum englischsprachigen Online-Vortrag von Dr. hab.
Anna Kawalec (KUL Lublin) am kommenden Donnerstag, 24. Juni, um 18 Uhr
(s.t.):

      Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz - Metaphysicist and Visionary of the
      (non-)Absurd Theater

The beginning of the 20th century witnessed radical changes transforming
Europe, including Poland. It was then that extreme ideas of
individualism, materialism arose, while the immaterial was expressed by
the wails of individuals, groups and whole societies.
The unique atmosphere of Polish positivism, the atmosphere of the
Witkiewicz family, and the artist’s father and art critic in particular,
gave birth to a brilliant talent and extraordinary sensitivity
incarnated in the person of Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz, nicknamed Witkacy.

A versatile personality – truly Renaissance modernist – a professional
philosopher, artist, mathematician, portraitist, photographer, painter,
art theorist and, above all, a visionary of the theater – represent just
some of the areas of his authentic artistic activity.

In my presentation, while I will discuss some of the reasons for the
uniqueness of Witkiewicz and the ingenuity of his work, I will dispute
unnecessary “quirks” and wrong directions in interpretations of his
artistry. In particular, I will focus on the “metaphysics” of theater,
on the idea of the “unity in multiplicity”, less so on the composition
of artwork than on its preeminent subject-matter – the Particular Existence.

*Zoom-Daten*: https://uni-jena-de.zoom.us/j/69335489670
Meeting-ID: 693 3548 9670, Kenncode: 182933

*24. Juni 2021, 18 Uhr über Zoom*

Veranstaltet vom Aleksander-Brückner-Zentrum für Polenstudien Jena in
Kooperation mit dem Institut für Slawistik und Kaukasusstudien der
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena

Website:
https://www.aleksander-brueckner-zentrum.org/veranstaltungen/detail/witkacy-metaphysicist-and-visionary-of-the-non-absurd-theater

FB-Veranstaltung:
https://www.facebook.com/events/258036412780405/?ref=newsfeed

--
Johann Wiede, M.A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter /
Projektkoordinator Aleksander-Brückner-Zentrum Jena

Institut für Slawistik und Kaukasusstudien
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena JenTower
Leutragraben 1 Raum 08S08
07743 Jena

Email: johann.wiede(at)uni-jena(dot)de

www.polenstudien.de