[SlawKaus] nächsten Di, 2.7., 14:15 Westpolessisch: Roncero

Ruprecht von Waldenfels ruprecht.waldenfels at uni-jena.de
Do Jun 27 12:56:00 CEST 2019

Liebe Alle,

am kommenden Dienstag,  2.Juli, 14:15,  Carl-Zeiss-Str. 3 - SR 127
findet folgender Gastvortag im Rahmen der Seminare zu Ostslavischen
Varietäten und Verb und Aspekt statt. Alle Interessierten sind herzlich
eingeladen!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Ruprecht von Waldenfels
(Im Anhang eine Lese/empfehlung/ zur Vorbereitung).

/*Kristian Roncero, MPI-SHH / FSU-Jena: */*Archaeology of the future.
Searching for the origins of the future tense constructions in West
Polesian*

West Polesian is an Eastern Slavonic variety spoken in the marshes
between Belarus, Ukraine and Poland. The speech community has been quite
isolated for many centuries, given the frequent floods that let the
villages inaccessible. On the one hand, this has contributed to a better
preservation of earlier stages of the Eastern Slavonic culture and
language. On the other hand, this isolation has also lead to innovations
in the grammar. Since the draining of the marshes and the building of
the first roads from the eighties on, the inhabitants are suddenly
connected to the cities where other standardised varieties (particularly
Russian) are being spoken. This is leading to changes in the grammar and
lexicon and to even younger generations not using of West Polesian.
Until recently there has been hardly any research on West Polesian,
particularly on the areas of morphology and syntax.

In this talk I will be sharing about my recent PhD thesis on West
Polesian morphosyntax, based on nine months of fieldwork in Belarus.
First, I will introduce the study and some peculiarities about the area.
I will also give more details about the sociolinguistic setting and some
particularities of West Polesian grammar, which make it different from
the rest of Eastern Slavonic varieties.

Second, I will narrow down the focus on the future tense constructions
in West Polesian. In my PhD thesis I showed, that West Polesian has
multiple future tense constructions or grams. In fact, some of these
constructions adjust to at least six of the ‘future gram families’
proposed by Dahl (2000): the synthetic future tense (/ɾobɪtɪmu/); the
de-obligative (/majusj////ɾobɪtɪ/); the de-volitive (/xotʃu////ɾobɪtɪ/);
the de-venitive (/stanu////ɾobɪtɪ/); the copular future
(/budu////ɾobɪtɪ/); and the Slavonic perfective present
(/zɾoblju/) and all are highly grammaticalised (although in different
degrees). On the one hand, this should not be surprising as, according
to the cross-linguistic surveys in Bybee (1985) and Ultan (1978), future
tense constructions are reformed frequently. On the other
hand, no European language appears to have more than three constructions
for the future tense in Dahl’s (2000) survey, and certainly not in the
Slavonic family.

I will explain the origins and implications of such an unusually rich
inventory of constructions. For this, I will show what the similarities
and differences are between the West Polesian future tense constructions
and the ones found in other European languages and whether there are any
historical links. Moreover, I will present the unusual fate of the
de-volitive (/xotʃu robɪtɪ/‘I will have to do’) and the de-obligative
(/majusj robɪtɪ/‘I intend to do’), which have inverted their original
roles overtime motivated by a large inventory of future tense constructions.

This talk is open to students with a background in Linguistics and/or
Slavistics. After the talk there will be a time for questions and answers

*Recommended reading*: Sections 5 and 6 (pp. 317-326) from

Dahl, Ö. (2000). The grammar of future time reference in European
languages. In Dahl, Ö. (ed.) (2000). /Tense and aspect in languages of
Europe/. Berlin/NY: Mouton de Gruyter, pp.317-326.