[BEXIS2-Dev] BEXIS 2.10 ff

bexis2-dev at listserv.uni-jena.de bexis2-dev at listserv.uni-jena.de
Mi Mai 31 13:08:13 CEST 2017

Hi,

first of all, we have to apologize for the late reply. But we had to
discuss a lot of things related to your question. The answers can be
found at the corresponding locations within your mail (down below). So,
we hope to answer your question with those explanations. If not, please
do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
BExIS2 Team

Am 19.05.2017 um 11:33 schrieb bexis2-dev at listserv.uni-jena.de:
> Hello,
>
> in Göttingen we are (trying) to prepare the transition from BEXIS 1 to
> BEXIS 2. One of the obstacles is the question how BEXIS 2.x will
> handle data. We need a guarantee that we can take data from BEXIS 2.x
> to BEXIS 2.x+1 without serious additional work (in our case on the
> PostgreSQL database). Can you achieve that?
BEXIS2 is still under development. That's why it is very likely that not
only the set of features change from one version to another, but also
the structure of the database. This problem is called "database schema
evolution" and affects both the structure of the database and the stored
data. Even today, the tools to solve that problem are limited. So, there
are no automatic schema and data adjustments for BEXIS 2.x+1. Actually,
we are trying to trace/log all schema changes within a release period to
provide proper schema update mechanisms (either manually or
automatically via scripts). Nevertheless, if you want to keep your data
from one version to another there is only the manual integration. And
since we (should) know all database changes between two versions, we can
do this migration together (as kind of helpdesk).
> Second: we can't really work with BEXIS 2.10, because some of the
> commands are missing. I wasn't able to import the attributes etc. from
> "Changes in workspace" (16.3.) and I can't edit the Types and
> Attributes in BEXIS 2.10 (see attached pictures, if they make it to
> the list).
> Is there a fix available, or am I doing something wrong?
Some of the menu items moved from "Plan" to "Settings" (cog icon). For
those you claimed it is the following situation (see also the screenshot
attached):

Plan / Manage Data Attributes -- moved to --> Cog / Manage Variable
Templates
Plan / Manage Data Types -- moved to --> Cog / Manage Data Types